The Donizetti Society has been established since 1973 and has regularly published Newsletters over that time. The following is the list of Newsletter content between 1985 and 1989. At that time, Newsletters were smaller, less well produced and more informal with fewer substantial articles. It should also be noted that some of the topics have been overtaken by later scholarship.
You can use the "Find" facility, part of "Edit" on your browser, to search for keywords within each of those pages as well as using the Search facility on the Home page. Articles are in English unless stated otherwise.
Newsletter 38, April 1985
- Obituary of Rubino Profeta and list of operas he edited
- Reviews of Joan Sutherland in Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor at Covent Garden, spring 1985
- Review by John Black of Philip Gossett's Anna Bolena and the artistic maturity of Gaetano Donizetti
- Review by Richard Bebb of Eleanora Duse - a biography by William Weaver
- Reviews of Donizetti's Il diluvio universale performed at Genoa, January 19, 1985
Newsletter 39, November 1985
- Review of Donizetti's Torquato Tasso at Savona by John Black. See here.
- Meyerbeer - a brief reappraisal by Andrew Everett. See here for article.
- Review by Tom Kaufman of Opera and concert singers - an annotated international bibliography by Andrew Farkas
Newsletter 40, January 1986
- An opera for Malibran by Alexander Weatherson
Article on the revised version of I puritani that Bellini wrote for Malibran and performed at the Barbican, December 14, 1985. See here for article.
- Review of Donizetti's Gianni di Parigi by Andrew Porter given in New York, December 19-22, 1985
- Reviews (in German and French) of Eva Lind in Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor at Basel, November 4, 1985
Newsletter 41, May 1986
- Covent Garden, Ritardando Sostenuto by Alexander Weatherson
Article on Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann at Covent Garden, May 3, 1986. See here.
- Review by Tom Kaufman of Mario and Grisi - a biography by Elizabeth Forbes
- Short piece celebrating the 150th anniversary of Antonio Carlos Gomes
- Review by Ralph Wells of Leyla Gencer - Romanza vero di una primadonna by Franca Cella
Newsletter 42, October 1986
- Articles on the 150th anniversary of the death of Maria Malibran.
- Fotheringay revisited by Andrew Everett
An appreciation of a BBC broadcast from the Vienna State Opera, October 1985, of Donizetti's Maria Stuarda with Baltsa and Gruberova. See here for article.
- Malibran in Balfe's The Maid of Artois May 27, 1836
Report reproduced from The Times, May 28, 1836. See here
- Review of recordings
Una serenata Italiana - arias from 19th century Italian opera, Joan Sutherland - bel canto arias, Qui sospiro - Donizetti songs sung by Denia Mazzola
- Reprints of reviews of Donizetti's L'esule di Roma performed at Savona, October 16 & 19, 1986
Newsletter 43, April 1987
- Donizetti's Caterina Cornaro, two reviews by Andrew
Reviews of performances at the Salle Pleyel, Paris, November 25, 1973 and one from Italian Radio broadcast in the UK on May 18, 1982. See here for article.
- Spontini at Epheus by Andrew Everett
Review of Spontini's Olimpie broadcast on BBC Radio 3, January 17, 1987. See here for article. Andrew has since written a book on Spontini titled Josephine's Composer.
- Short obituaries of Jacques Gheusi and Harold Rosenthal
- Short article marking the 10th anniversary of the death of Maria Callas
- List of Pacini's operas
Newsletter 44, December 1987
- Short article on the Hotel Manchester by John R. Carter. See here.
- Reviews of Donizetti's Il furioso all'isola di San Domingo and Rossini's La gazzetta performed at Savona November 14-16, 1987. See here.
- Review by Piero Mioli of Maria Malibran by Remo Giazotto (in Italian)
- Review by Thomas G. Kaufman of Saverio Mercadante by Santo Palermo
- Review of Rossini's Guillaume Tell, Cagliari, October 1987 by Reto Müller.
- Chronology of performances at La Scala, Milan
Newsletter 45, April 1988
- Review by Thomas G. Kaufman of Il Teatro di San Carlo
- Donizetti in Copenhagen by Dr Bjaarne Jornaes
Recently discovered Donizetti song in the papers of Bertel Thorvaldsen
- Review by Piero Mioli of Giulietta Simionato by Jean-Jacques Hanine Vallaut
- Review by Antonella Parma of Renata Tebaldi by Carlamaria Casanova
- Review by Alexander Weatherson of Invito all' ascolto do Rossini and Invito all' ascolto do Gluck, both by Piero Mioli
- Review by Philip Gormley of a recording from Savona of Donizetti's L'esule di Roma
Newsletter 46, October, 1988
- More memories of the Hotel Manchester by Richard Jefree. See here.
- Review of Donizetti's Roberto Devereux, Rome Opera, April 1, 1988, by Philip G. Gormley. See here.
- Review of Donizetti's Linda di Chamounix, Teatro Carcano, Milan, September 28, 1988 by Bill Timmons. See here.
- Review of Donizetti's La romanziera e l'uomo nero and Betly, Festival di Fermo, July 25, 1988 by Fulvio Lo Presti and Giacomo Branca (in Italian). See here.
- Review by Piero Mioli of the 1984 Modena convention proceedings, Ernani ieri e oggi (in Italian)
- Donizetti and Home Sweet Home by Robert Keys
Article on how Donizetti got to know the tune that he used in Anna Bolena. See here.
Newsletter 47, April 1989
- Review by Piero Mioli of the Le Stelle delle Lirica by Enrico Stinchelli (in Italian)
- Review of Donizetti's Parisina d'Este at Basle, November/December, 1988 by Reto Müller. See here.
- Reviews of Donizetti's Imelda de'Lambertazzi (Lugano, February 19, 1989) and La figlia del reggimento (Bologna, February 21, 1989) by Alexander Weatherson. See here
- Reviews of Rossini's Guillaume Tell, (La Scala, Milan, December 10, 1988) and Mercadante Elisa e Claudio (Wexford, October 21, 1989) by Philip G. Gormley. See here.
- Short article on the multi composer requiem for Rossini
- List of John Lewis Music Society productions
- Reviews of recordings of Leo Nucci - bel canto arias and Donizetti's Maria di Rohan
Newsletter 48, August 1989
- Review by Alexander Weatherson of Giuseppe Persiani e Fanny Tacchinardi by Paola Ciarlantini
- Review by Tom Kaufman of Strong on music: The New York Music scene in the days of George Templeton Strong, 1836-1875, Vol. 1 by Vera Brodsky Lawrence
- Review by Alexander Weatherson of Donizetti's Messa di Requiem at the Queen Elizabeth's Hall, June 24, 1989. See here.